Wild Rice Stuffing with Beets, Apple and Cranberries
Preparation Time: 10min
Cooking Time: 1 hour
What you'll need:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 large crisp apple, peeled, cored and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1-1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
- 2 cups wild rice
- 4 cups chicken stock*
- 1/2 cup dry sherry or white wine
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup raw pecans, chopped
- 2 250g packs Love Beets beetroot, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
*You could also use vegetable stock to make this dish vegetarian.
What to do:
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil to medium. Add the chopped onion and celery and sauté until fragrant, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the chopped apple and sauté an additional 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the minced garlic, ground mustard, thyme, oregano, salt, and rice, and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock and sherry and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover the pot and cook for 30 minutes or until rice has absorbed most of the liquid.
- Stir the dried cranberries, pecans, chopped beets and parsley into the rice. Taste test the stuffing and add more salt if desired.
- Preheat your oven 175°C. Lightly oil a 9 x 13-inch casserole dish and scoop the rice into the dish. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until rice is golden and slightly crispy on top.
- Drizzle additional olive oil over the stuffing to keep moist. Serve with additional chopped parsley.