Vegan Shepherd's Pie with Curried Beets and Lentils
Preparation Time: 15min
Cooking Time: 1hour 15min
What you'll need:
- 3 medium gold potatoes, quartered
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 180g Love Beets Infused Balsamic beetroot, halved
- 1 large brown onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 stalks of celery hearts, chopped
- 1/2 cup dry lentils
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons yellow curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable stock
What to do:
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and add the chopped potatoes. Cook at a controlled boil for 15 to 20 minutes, until potatoes are soft when poked with a fork.
- Strain potatoes and place them in a blender along with the buttermilk. Blend until smooth, add sea salt to taste, and set aside for later.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over a medium heat. Add the onion, carrots, and celery, and cook until the vegetables are al dente (about 8 minutes). Add the dry lentils, curry powder, and garlic and sautée for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the vegetable stock and bring mixture to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until lentils are cooked through; about 25 to 30 minutes. Add the chopped beets to the skillet with the lentils and stir to incorporate for about 2 minutes. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Pour the lentil and beet mixture into a 1.5 litre casserole dish. Spread the mashed potatoes evenly on top of the vegetables and place the casserole dish on a baking tray. Bake on the center rack for 30 to 35 minutes, until the shepherd’s pie is bubbly and the potatoes are starting to get brown and crispy. Allow the pie to cool for 15 minutes before serving with your favourite crusty bread.