Vegetarian Bahn Mi Sandwiches with Beets
Preparation Time: 30min
Cooking Time: 5 mins
What you'll need:
For the pickled Veggies:
- 1 bunch radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 large carrots, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- ½ medium-sized cucumber, halved, de-seeded & sliced into matchsticks
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and cut into match sticks
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- ¼ cup cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon cane sugar
- Pinch sea salt
For the Tofu:
- 1 (14-ounce) package extra firm tofu
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 tablespoons liquid aminos (or low-sodium soy sauce)
- 2 tablespoons teriyaki sauce
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
For the Bahn Mi Sandwiches:
- 1 baguette or French bread, halved lengthwise, cut into 4” to 6” pieces, and toasted
- 250g Love Beets cooked beets, sliced
- Mayonnaise (you can use vegan mayo!)
- Fresh coriander
- Red chili sauce, optional
What to do:
- Add all of the ingredients for the pickled vegetables to a jar and add a small amount of water. Stir, seal, and refrigerate for at least one hour, up to 10 days.
- Drain the tofu, remove it from the package, and place on a cutting board. Press tofu to drain of excess liquid by placing a folded paper towel on top of the whole cube, and weighing down a cast iron pan on top. Leave to press for 20 minutes, then slice into 3/4 inch slices.
- In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, garlic, ginger, liquid aminos (or soy), teriyaki sauce, and cumin.
- Heat a large skillet to medium-high and add the soy-ginger mixture, cooking for 1 minute until the garlic and ginger are fragrant, and sauce begins to bubble. Place the sliced tofu on the skillet and cook until seared and caramelized, about 1 to 3 minutes. Carefully flip and cook on the other side until caramelized, about another 2 minutes.
- To make the Bahn Mi sandwiches, slice the beets and toast the bread. Spread desired amount of mayo over the toasted bread, and add sliced beets, cooked tofu, and pickled veggies. Serve with fresh coriander and a drizzle of red chili sauce (such as sriracha) if desired.