Chicken, beet and bacon salad
Preparation Time: 10 mins
Cooking Time: 20 mins
What you’ll need:
For the dressing:
- Juice & zest of a small orange
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- A pinch of brown sugar, to taste
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 75g walnuts, roughly chopped
For the salad:
- 500g potatoes, thickly sliced
- 300g baby broccoli, cut into 3-4cm pieces
- 2 large chicken breasts, skinless and boneless
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 8 slices smoked streaky bacon
- 2 packs of 250g Love Beets, cut into wedges
- 80g baby salad leaves
What to do:
- First, make the dressing by whisking together the orange juice and zest with the mustard and sherry vinegar in a large mixing bowl (big enough to toss the salad in). Drizzle in the olive oil, whisking the whole time, until the dressing has emulsified. Season to taste with brown sugar, salt and pepper, then store through the walnuts and set aside for the flavors to develop.
- Bring a large pan of lightly salted water to a boil and add the potatoes. Cook for 10-15 minutes until tender when pierced with the tip of a knife. When the potatoes are nearly ready, add the baby broccoli and cook for a further 2 minutes. Drain well and add to the dressing in the bowl whilst still hot, tossing to mix.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a frying pan until hot. Flatten the chicken breasts a little and season with a little salt and pepper, then fry for about 4-5 minutes on each side until cooked through. Remove, set aside to cool a little then slide on the diagonal. Add the bacon to the frying pan and fry until crisp. Roughly chop. Add the chicken and bacon to the bowl and toss together.
- Finally, add the beets and leaves and lightly toss to mix before serving immediately.