Beet and Sweet Potato Salad with Spiced Date Vinaigrette
Serves: 6 - 8
What you'll need:
Spiced Date Vinaigrette:
- ½ cup hot water
- 2 dates, pitted
- ¼ tsp ground turmeric
- ¼ tsp ground coriander
- ¼ tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp red chili pepper flakes
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ¼ cup white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp red onion, roughly chopped
- 1 small garlic clove
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 small sweet potatoes, roughly chopped into 2-inch pieces
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 packages cooked Love Beets (about 500g of beets), sliced and quartered
- 2 capsicum, various colors, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- ¼ cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch coriander, leaves coarsely chopped
- 3 tbsp fresh mint, chopped
- ½ cup pistachios, lightly crushed
What to do:
- Preheat the oven to 375F and line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Working over the prepared pan, toss together the sweet potatoes with the oil and season with salt. Roast for 30 minutes, until tender and lightly crisp around the edges. Let cool and set aside.
- Meanwhile make the dressing, combine the dates and hot water in a small bowl and let sit for 10 minutes.
- In a high-speed blender combine the spices, salt, pepper, lemon juice, vinegar, onion, garlic, soaked dates, and soaking water from dates, and blend until smooth. With the motor running, stream in the olive oil until the dressing is a creamy consistency. Taste to adjust for seasonings and set aside.
- To serve, assemble the beets, roasted sweet potatoes, bell peppers, cherry tomatoes, and red onion in a large mixing or serving bowl. Season the salad with salt and black pepper. Pour over the spiced date vinaigrette and gently toss to distribute. Add the chopped cilantro and mint and sprinkle over the crushed pistachios. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
* The salad will keep well in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.