Back to Recipe Index
Beetroot Chocolate Brownies
These moist, fudgy brownies have a surprise healthy ingredient – beetroot – so you can feel a little less guilty about indulging your sweet tooth.
Serves: 16 brownies
Preparation Time: 10-15 mins
Cooking Time: 30-35 mins
What You'll Need
- 250g dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids)
- 100g butter, plus a little extra for greasing the tin
- 250g Love Beets Beetroot
- 3 eggs
- 250g light brown sugar
- 150g ground almonds/almond meal
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Icing sugar to dust
What To Do
- Preheat the oven to 200°C or 180°C (for a fan forced oven). Prepare a brownie baking tin by greasing all over with a little butter. Line with a wide strip of baking paper, leaving two 'tails' at either side to help you lift the cooked brownie out of the tin.
- Break up the chocolate into squares and put into a heatproof bowl along with the butter. Set over a pan of barely simmering water and allow to gently melt, stirring to mix together.
- Tip the beetroot into a food processor and process to a puree, pausing every now and then to scrape down the sides if necessary. Add the melted chocolate and butter and the eggs then whizz again until combined. Again, scrape down the sides, then add the sugar, ground almonds, cocoa, and baking powder and process until you have a smooth batter.
- Pour into the prepared baking tin and bake for about 30-35 minutes until the top is set and the brownie is starting to pull a little away from the sides of the tin. A skewer inserted into the centre will come out fairly clean but a touch sticky - don't worry if it still seems a little soft as it will firm up on cooling and these brownies are designed to be quite moist. Remove from the oven, place on a cooling rack and allow to cool in the tin.
- Using the baking paper tails, ease the brownie out of the tin and cut into 16 squares. Dust the surface with a little icing sugar.
- For extra kick, try chilli chocolate brownies by adding 1 tsp of cayenne pepper powder in Step 3.